Historical Markers Placed by the MSSDAR
OLD ABERDEEN CEMETERY
Historical marker placed on July 4, 1984, at the Old Aberdeen Cemetery in Aberdeen, Mississippi.
“Old Aberdeen Cemetery, established in 1836, by the Trustees of Aberdeen Corporation. Restoration begun in 1979 by Tombigbee Chapter DAR. Placed 1984 by Tombigbee Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.”
Marked: 1984 – Tombigbee Chapter
Historical marker located at the intersection of Highway 35 South and Williamsville Road, 1/2 mile south of Kosciusko city limits, Attala County, Mississippi. State Historical Commission Marker.
“ATTALA COUNTY Founded in 1833, named after Chateaubriand’s Indian heroine. Buried in county are 1st senator, Gordon Brown, and 1st representative, William Dodd, who named the county seat after Thaddeus Kosciusko.”
Marked: 1951 — Samuel Hammond Chapter
Marker located on U. S. Highway 61 South of Vicksburg, Warren County, Mississippi, on public land at Immanuel Baptist Church, at intersection of Highway 61 and the old road going out to Davis (Palmyra) Island.
“Four miles west at Davis Bend were Brierfield and Hurricane Plantations of Jefferson and Joe Davis, now Palmyra Island and desolate. The ruins half hide the Davis Cemetery.”
Marked: 15 January 1950 — Ashmead Chapter
Located on Highway 61, just north of Cannonsburg at the intersection of county road leading to Old Bethel Cemetery, where Joseph and Hannah Bullen are buried in Jefferson County, Mississippi.
“West 3/4 mile is grave of a minister who came to Pontotoc area in 1795 as missionary to Chickasaws. Moving in 1803 to Jefferson County he helped establish Bethel Church, first Presbyterian Church in state.”
Marked: 9 December 1956 — Ashmead Chapter
Marker located on Highway 49 at the main entrance to Camp Shelby, Hattiesburg, Forrest County, Mississippi.
“CAMP SHELBY Established in 1917 to train troops for World War I. When Kentucky soldiers were among the first trained here, the post was named for Colonel Shelby, the first governor of Kentucky and a Revolutionary War hero. Re-opened in 1940 to train soldiers for World War II, and also used as a prisoner of war camp for the German Afrika Corps. Activated again 1954 as a National Guard training camp, Shelby has since been continuously used by U.S. and allied forces.
Dedication April 4, 1995, by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Mrs. Oliver Edwin Bradway, III, State Regent.”
Marker located at intersection of Highway 90 and Teagarden Road in Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi.
“CASSETTE GIRLS Orphans sent by France to be wives of settlers. Each was provided a cassette (small box) with trousseau. First group (80 girls) arrived in Biloxi January 5, 1721, under the care of three Ursuline nuns.” First marker replaced in 1983 because use of the word “Casquette” was incorrect; word changed to “Cassette.”
Marked: 27 February 1957 — Biloxi Chapter
CHAKCHIUMA LAND OFFICE/CHOCCHUMA
Marker located in Harris Park on Highway 7 in Holcomb, Grenada County, Mississippi.
“Extinct village, 3 miles northwest on Yalobusha River. Once a busy shipping point and site of U.S. Land Office, 1833-1840. Declined when office moved to Grenada. Probably named for Chakchiuma Indians.”
Marked: 30 June 1970 — Chakchiuma Chapter
Marker located on Highway 49 near Minter City, Leflore County, Mississippi
“CHARLEY’S TRACE Old trail leading to the Mississippi River. Dating from the 18th century, it was named after a Choctaw Indian who lived on it and is reputed to have served as a guide.” Mississippi Historical Commission 1955. In 1955 old marker replaced and new marker dedicated on Highway 49 East at the intersection of Watkins Plantation Road near Minter City, Leflore County, Mississippi. (This marker could not be found August 4, 1996.)
Marked: 20 February 1926 — Chakchiuma Chapter
New Marker Dedicated: 21 May 1955
CHAUMONT LAND GRANT/OLD SPANISH FORT
Located in Pascagoula, Jackson County, Mississippi
“Settlement of Chaumont Land Grant in 1718 by Joseph de la Pointe. DAR Marker on concrete post. Old Spanish Fort, now open to the public as a museum. Old Spanish Fort. North 3/4 mile, erected by French in 1721 to serve as protection against the Indians and the Spanish. It is the oldest building in the Mississippi Valley.”
Marked: 3 May 1974 — Duchess de Chaumont Chapter
CHICKASAW INDIAN COUNCIL TREE
Marker located at the site of Old Cotton Gin Port, Monroe County, Mississippi.
“Here stood the Chickasaw Council Tree. Erected 1921.” (In 1996 the tree was no longer standing. Old newspaper article states that “wood from the tree is in Amory Museum.”)
Marker: 1933 — Cotton Gin Port Chapter
CHOCCHUMA INDIAN MOUND
Marker is located in Oktibbeha County, Mississippi, on Lyon’s Bluff.
“Ceremonial Mound of Chocchuma Indians exterminated by Chickasaws and Choctaws in Aboriginal Warfare. Erected by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter, DAR. Mrs. E. E. Stevens, Regent, 1937.”
Marked: 20 July 1937 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
CHOCTAW MOUND/CHOCTAW BURIAL MOUND
Marker located at site of the Choctaw Indian Mound. Concrete marker. Clay County, Mississippi.
“CHOCTAW BURIAL MOUND Site of the Choctaw Burial Mound, destroyed by highway builders. Marked 1934 by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter, DAR. Committee: Katie Wooten Roberds (Mrs. W. G.), Chairman; Marie Sanders Cochran (Mrs. E. C.); Ida Elizabeth Anderson Miller ( Mrs. E. F.); Cleo Patra Carr Nash (Mrs. W. A.); Mattie Waught Unger (Mrs. J. R.), Regent.”
Marked: 29 August 1934 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
The markers are located at the intersection of Highways 49 and 61 in Clarksdale, Coahoma County, Mississippi.
“CLARKSDALE County seat of Coahoma County founded in 1869 by John Clark for whom the town was named. Situated in one of the most fertile regions of the world, it has grown into one of the leading cities of the Yazoo-Mississippi Delta. It has a just pride in its library, its schools and its churches and is an important market for long staple cotton. Placed by Rosannah Waters Chapter DAR 1938.”
“Site where Indian trails crossed. Founded, 1869 by John Clark, who bought land in 1840. Chartered, 1882. Coahoma co-county seat, 1892; sole one since 1930. Home of Governor Earl Brewer.” Mississippi Historical Marker.
Marked: 1938 — Rosannah Waters Chapter
CLEVELAND MEMORIAL DRIVE
In memory of Bolivar County servicemen who gave their lives in World War I whose names appear hereon:
Benoit: Isaac Garrett Jones, Alfred Payne Jones, J. J. Jones, Jr.
Beulah: William J. Weissinger
Bolivar: George Wade Boyle, Willie Hopkins, Richard M. Lee
Cleveland: William A. Crosby, George G. Christmas, Mick Lonn, Fred M. Lonn, Edgar Allen Lagrone, Charlie Mullens, James W. Ervin
Deeson: Maurice Calvin Jeeter
Lobdell: Lloyd Reilly
Pace: Dan L. Baird, Charles Pace
Rosedale: George England, Leonidas F. Provine
Shaw: Clinton Maddox
Shelby: J. H. Justice, W. E. Roberson
Skene: Fred E. White, Glen Crosby
Honoring President Woodrow Wilson and General John J. Pershing. Trees planted in 1924 by Madame Hodnett Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, Cleveland, Bolivar County, Mississippi.
Marked: 15 May 1971
OLD COLLEGE HILL CHURCH
Marker located 6 miles north of Oxford, on the Old Chickasaw Trail, Lafayette County, Mississippi. Bronze tablet on stone boulder.
“COLLEGE CHURCH Organized by Presbyterian settlers in 1836. Church building erected 1844-46 on land bought from North Mississippi College. Church and vicinity occupied by some 30,000 Union troops December 1862. William Faulkner married here, 1929.”
Another marker reads: “College Presbyterian Church (organized 1836) erected of brick by slave labor. Site of first chartered college in Chickasaw Cession. Occupied by General Sherman in December 1862.”
Marked: 14 June 1935 — David Reese Chapter
COLLEGE HILL COMMUNITY
Bronze tablet on large boulder at College Hill Presbyterian Church bearing this 1935 inscription:
“Here passed the traveler to Toby Tubby Ferry and here Presbyterian Pioneers of Revolutionary descent settled the College Hill Community in 1836, and established North Mississippi College, 1840-1866, and built this the first brick church in Lafayette County.” Oxford, Lafayette County, Mississippi.
Marked: 1935 — David Reese Chapter
Marker located between Saltillo and Tupelo, Lee County, Mississippi.
“First concrete road south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Completed November 15, 1915, costing $8,000 per mile. Dedicated February 15, 1990, by Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution.”
(Marker has been stolen.)
Marked: 15 February 1990 — MSSDAR
COTTON GIN PORT
Marker located on Highway 278 west of Amory, Monroe County, Mississippi, one mile east of Tombigbee River.
“COTTON GIN PORT South 1 mile, site of first town in North Mississippi. Was a crossing of vital Indian trails. Was base of expeditions of Bienville in 1736 and Vaudreuil, 1762. Railroad caused extinction.”
Marked: 1949 — Cotton Gin Port Chapter
GENERAL SAMUEL DALE
Grave located in Old Cochrane Cemetery, 2 miles west of Lizelia, Lauderdale County, Mississippi.
1965 — General Dale’s remains were moved to Daleville, Lauderdale County, Mississippi, where a monument and two acre park were dedicated. It is not known what happened to DAR marker.
Marker in Samuel Dale Park on Mississippi 39 north, Lauderdale County, Mississippi.
“Pioneer soldier and scout. Hero, War of 1812. Rode from Georgia to Battle of New Orleans, with news for Andrew Jackson. Died 1841. Buried at Old Daleville. Remains moved here in 1965.”
First Marked: 15 June 1930 — Samuel Dale Chapter
Marker located 1-1/2 miles south of Pontotoc, Pontotoc County, Mississippi.
“French Commander was defeated in battle with Chickasaw Indians, May 20, 1736. A week later d’Artaguette, Frances Marie Bissat de Vincennes, Father Artaine Senat, Jesuit Missionary, in all 20 Frenchmen captured were burned at the stake by their captors. Father Senat scorning the offer to escape martyrdom remained with his comrades and entoning the Miserere, led them into the destroying flame.”
Erected by the John Foster Society Children of the American Revolution, Columbus, Mississippi 1934 — Bernard Romans Chapter
DANCING RABBIT TREATY
Marker is a large granite boulder, located on 40 square feet, given by Mrs. F. R. Simms in Noxubee County, Mississippi, in 1916, where the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit was signed on 28 September 1830.
“DANCING RABBIT TREATY Here on September 27, 1830, was signed the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. The Choctaw Nation of Indians surrendered their lands to the U.S. Commissioners. Greenwood Lefleur, Mushulatubbee, Little Leader, Choctaw Chiefs.”
Marked: 14 June 1928 — Bernard Romans Chapter
Marker located 4 miles west of Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, at Davis Chapel which stands in a huge grove of old oak trees on the Old Spanish Trail.
“DAVIS CHAPEL Built ca. 1851 on land deeded by Robert Jennings. Named for blind circuit rider, Lorenzo Davis. Designed by Russell Jackson and built by J. W. Williams, whose house still stands across from the church.”
Marked: 23 May 1950 — James Gilliam Chapter
Marker located on Highway 16, 12 miles east of Canton, Madison County, Mississippi.
“TREATY OF DOAK’S STAND Near here on October 18, 1820, the Choctaw tribe, under the pressure of expanding white settlement, ceded over 5,000,000 acres to the United States in Second Choctaw Cession. Andrew Jackson and Thomas Hinds represented the United States.” Mississippi Department of Archives and History Marker.
Marked: 1991 — Doak’s Treaty Chapter
DRINKING FOUNTAIN: GREENWOOD
Marker located on Church Street, in front of new Davis Elementary School, Greenwood, Leflore County, Mississippi.
“To commemorate the Enterprise and Initiative of Charles Edward Wright who in May 1895, 901 ft. east of this stone found the first overflowing well in the Mississippi Delta and gave to its people the blessing of Artesian water. This fountain is erected by Chakchiuma Chapter DAR.”
Marked: 1915 — Chakchiuma Chapter
The site is located a few miles from Meridian, Mississippi, and was marked by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution under the Hunter Grimes Administration on September 11, 2009. The marker was placed to memorialize the early efforts and contributions of immigrant John Cooper Dunn to the early economic growth of Lauderdale County, through his many business enterprises in the area of the Chunky River. Unfortunately his beloved Dunn’s Falls operation had fallen into obscurity. Now, by this marking, once again our society remembers the pioneer spirit of John Cooper Dunn.
Dunn and his family are buried in a family section of the Confederate Cemetery in Enterprise, Mississippi about four miles from Dunn’s Falls. It was revealed at the cemetery site that his mother-in-law Elizabeth Means Kennedy was a DAR Patriot Daughter of Revolutionary soldier James Means. The marker had been placed years earlier by the Pushmataha Chapter.
SGT. MARTIN DURRETT
Marker located off Highway 8 in southeastern part of Monroe County, Mississippi.
“Martin R. Durrett, Sgt. 5th Reg. East Tennessee Militia, War of 1812. January 8, 1783 — March 16, 1848.”
Marked: June 1956 — Cotton Gin Port Chapter
Born: 1794 Died: 1869 Buried at Murrah’s Chapel Grounds, Lowndes County, Mississippi. Cemetery located 11 miles from Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi, on Highway 69 South.
“Samuel Edmondson born in Camden, South Carolina, 1794. Died in Lowndes County, Mississippi, 1869. He won fame and the gratitude of our forefathers by his daring ride from Ft. Stephens to Nashville, Tennessee, to secure General Jackson’s aid against the Creek Indians.”
Marked: 11 June 1928 — Bernard Romans Chapter
ELIZABETH FEMALE COLLEGE
Marker is on bronze set in a large granite stone. Located on old Highway 84 east from the town of Washington, Adams County, Mississippi, at the point where the highway overpasses the Natchez Trace Parkway.
“ELIZABETH FEMALE COLLEGE First women’s College in America. Chartered on February 17, 1819, to confer degrees on women. Named in honor of Elizabeth Roach through whose generosity the college was made possible. Audubon was on the faculty.”
Marked 31 March 1925 — MSSDAR
ELIZABETH FEMALE COLLEGE
This marker is a State Historical Commission Marker located near the marker listed earlier. Near Washington, Adams County, Mississippi.
“First school for women chartered by Mississippi Legislature located here. Elizabeth Roach led in organization. School was important from 1818-1843.”
FIRST DECORATION DAY
A granite boulder with carved marble tablet is located inside Friendship Cemetery, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
“Site of First Decoration Day, Columbus, Mississippi. April 25, 1866. Erected by John Foster Society D.A.R. in 1932.”
Marked: 1932 — Bernard Romans Chapter
SITE OF FIRST SETTLERS
Marker located on site of the new West Point High School which was built on the site of the cemetery of first settlers in West Point, Clay County, Mississippi.
“CHURCH HILL CEMETERY Marked by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter, DAR. December 13, 1960.”
Marked: 13 December 1960 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
FIRST STATE HOUSE
Marker located in foyer of Hardin Building on the corner of Capitol and President Street.
“This tablet marks the site of the First State House. Erected in Jackson, 1822. General Thomas Hinds, Commander of Andrew Jackson’s Cavalry, Battle of New Orleans, was a member of the commission that laid out the City and selected this location for the Capitol Building.”
The county of Hinds was named in his honor and the City in honor of Andrew Jackson.
Marked: 14 June 1925 — Ralph Humphreys Chapter
FLAGSTAFFS AT GOVERNOR’S MANSION
The Mississippi State Society presented two flagstaffs on the Mansion grounds as a Mississippi State Society Centennial gift to the State of Mississippi. The five DAR chapters of Jackson gave the Flag of the United States of America and the State Flag of Mississippi as a Mississippi State Society Centennial project. The marker and the flagstaffs are on the front lawn facing East Capitol Street, Jackson, Mississippi.
“The Flagstaffs on the Mansion grounds were placed by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution to commemorate its 100 years of service to God, Home and Country. 1896-1996. Dedicated February 22, 1996.” MSSDAR
NATHAN BEDFORD FORREST MEMORIAL BRIDGE
Located on Highway 50, near West Point, Clay County, Mississippi. (1996 — bridge is no longer standing.)
Marked: 1953 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
Marker located on Highway 82, west of Greenwood, Leflore County, Mississippi, overlooking the Tallahatchie River where the “Star of the West” was sunk in the River to halt Grant’s gunboats.
Marked: 1930 Marker was damaged during the construction of new highway and replaced with State Historical Commission Marker.
“FORT PEMBERTON Here is site of fort at which Grant’s gunboats bound for Vicksburg, early in 1863, were halted by fort batteries and by the sunken hulk of “Star of the West” in channel.”
Marked: November 1950 — Chakchiuma Chapter
The marker is erected in the Bicentennial Garden at Rosalie overlooking the area of Old Fort Rosalie. The marker is located near the site of a tobacco warehouse that stood in the environs of the original Fort Rosalie area. Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi.
“FORT ROSALIE On bluff to south stood Fort Rosalie, established by the French in 1716. Became nucleus of settlements from which the Mississippi Territory was founded. Near this marker stood the French warehouse that was a center of bloodshed during the Natchez Massacre of 1729.
Dedicated December 11, 1988, by Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution. Mrs. D. Kelly Love, State Regent.”
Marked: 11 December 1988 — MSSDAR
This marker was located on Canal Street at the rear of Rosalie at one time. Was stolen and the Galvez marker was placed at this site. Later the marker was found in Louisiana and returned to Rosalie, where it is in storage.
“FORT ROSALIE Site located on these bluffs by D’Iberville, 1700. Fort established for French by Bienville, 1716. French settlers massacred by Natchez Indians, 1729. Renamed Ft. Panmure by British, 1763.” Marked: 1951 — Mississippi Historical Commission Marker.
FORT ROSALIE – FLAG POLE
The flag pole was placed on the site of Old Fort Rosalie. The site of old Fort Rosalie was where the American flag was first officially raised on Mississippi soil, March 30, 1798, by Captain Issac Guion, this being the final relinquishment of this territory to the United States from the Spanish government.
The Mississippi Society Daughters of the American Revolution commemorated this event by the raising of the Stars and Stripes on this spot April 5, 1918.
Fort Rosalie lies immediately behind “Rosalie” on the summit of the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River.
The Rumble sisters living in the mansion, Rosalie, maintained the Flag Pole and the area until their deaths. It was assumed they had deeded this land to MSDAR, but they had not, so the Flag Pole was sold as part of the estate. In 1963, the Pole was removed.
Marked: 5 April 1918 — MSSDAR
Bronze tablet on granite stone located in front by the flag pole on 3rd Avenue North, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi
“1821 Franklin Academy oldest free school in Mississippi. Chartered in 1821. It has had a continuous history from that day to this. Tablet placed by Bernard Romans Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1929.”
Also on the corner of 3rd Avenue North and 5th Street is a Mississippi Highway Historical Marker.
“FRANKLIN ACADEMY State’s oldest free school has functioned since 1821. Worthy trustees using 16th section income and employing able teachers early made Columbus a cultural center in Northeast Mississippi.”
The school was named for Benjamin Franklin.
Marked 29 May 1929 — Bernard Romans Chapter
BERNARDO DE GALVEZ
Located on Canal Street beside the ante-bellum home “Rosalie,” Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi.
“Don Bernado de Galvez, Spanish Governor of Louisiana 1776-1783. In a brilliant campaign, with the aid of regular troops, militia volunteers and a few Americans, captured Baton Rouge from the British on September 21, 1779. Terms included the surrender of Fort Panmure in Natchez, which was occupied by Spanish troops on October 5, 1779. The signing of the Treaty of San Lorenzo on October 27, 1795, ended Spanish control of Natchez. Dedicated October 29, 1985, by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Mrs. William Edwin O’Hare, State Regent.”
Marked: 29 October 1985 — MSSDAR
Marker located on left side of Highway 61 South, just south of the city limits of Vicksburg, Warren County, Mississippi.
“Homesite of ‘Father of Methodism’ in Mississippi, sent in 1799 to Mississippi Territory as missionary. He founded many of its early churches and is buried on Crawford Street Lawn.” State Historical Commission Marker.
Marked: 21 October 1956 — Ashmead Chapter.
Marker placed to commemorate the location of the first county seat of then Choctaw County, Mississippi. Greensboro is now in Webster County, Mississippi. The marker is located beside chapel at Greensboro Cemetery. Marker dedicated on May 12, 2012 by the Old Choctaw County Chapter, Eupora, Mississippi.
GREENWOOD / WILLIAMS LANDING
Marker located at northeast corner of Leflore County Courthouse Lawn, Greenwood, Leflore County, Mississippi, overlooking Yazoo River.
“GREENWOOD founded by John Williams as Williams Landing 1834, chartered as Greenwood in 1844, since 1917 has been the world’s largest inland long staple cotton market.” State Historical Commission Marker
Marked 30 November 1950 — Chakchiuma Chapter
Located on the private estate of R. H. Crosby, Picayune, Pearl River County, Mississippi. There are five graves in the cemetery: Judge Moses Cook. Mrs. Dolly Cook, Kate B., George Washington Ross, and Leonard Kimball.
These people were pioneers in the development of Picayune. The Picayune Chapter placed the marker in grateful recognition of the significance of the home, the surrounding grounds, the little cemetery, and the service rendered by those who lie in eternal rest there.
“The Hermitage Cemetery, placed by Picayune Chapter DAR, March 23, 1985.”
Marked 23 March 1985 — Picayune Chapter
INDIAN BURIAL MOUND
Marker located two miles south of West Point, Clay County, Mississippi, on Highway 45. There are three historical markers in this area.
“INDIAN BURIAL MOUND Excavated June 1934 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Dunbar Rowland, LL.D., Director; Jordan B. Chambers, Archeologist.
Marked 1934 by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter DAR. Choctaw Burial Mound 120 yards South; Indian Campground Southwest across the Highway. Committee: Beulah Lijon Fuller Harris (Mrs. Edgar G.), Erin Faye Nowlin Clark (Mrs. C. C.), Mattie Waugh Unger (Mrs. J. R.), Regent.”
Marked 1934 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
Marker located on Highway 45 Alternate, South of West Point, Clay County, Mississippi.
“PREHISTORIC INDIAN BURIAL MOUND Constructed ca. 100 B.C. – A.D. 400 for burial of high-status members of an unknown local tribal group. An associated village site lies across the highway to the Southwest.” Israel Miller Society, DAR.
Marked: 1 March 1960 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
INDIAN BURIAL MOUND
Marker located two miles south of West Point, Clay County, Mississippi, on Highway 45. Three markers located in this area.
“INDIAN BURIAL MOUND Excavated June 1934 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Dunbar Holland, LL.D., Director, Jordan B. Chambers, Archeologist. Marked by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter DAR. Choctaw Burial Mound 102 yards south. Indian Campground Southwest across the Highway. Committee: Beulah Lijon Fuller Harris (Mrs. Edgar G.), Erin Faye Nowlin Clark (Mrs. C. C.), Mattie Waugh Unger (Mrs. J. R.) Regent.”
Marked: 1934 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
Marker located on U. S. Highway 80 West, at corporate limits.
“JACKSON Began as LeFleur’s Bluff. Chose as state capital in 1821 and named for Andrew Jackson. First legislature met here in 1822. Street plan based on design originated by Jefferson.” State Historical Commission Marker.
Marker located at 312 South Huntington Street, Kosciusko, Attala County, Mississippi.
“KOSCIUSKO “Redbud Springs” in Indian days. Later named for Polish-American patriot. Chartered in 1836. On Natchez Trace near geographical center of state. Trade activity gave it title, ‘Beehive of the Hills.’ ”
Marked: 1950 — Samuel Hammond Chapter
The marker was located in 1943 at the intersection of Highway 80 and Highway 49. In 1976 the city of Jackson moved the marker to a tourist center at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Pascagoula Street. A replica cabin of the period was constructed on the site and called LeFleur’s Bluff Trading Post. In 1985 the cabin was moved to the Agriculture and Forestry Museum. In 1989 the marker was moved by private citizens at their own expense to its present location in LeFleur’s Bluff State Park in Jackson.
On the east side the marker reads: “This monument marks LeFleur’s Bluff where General Thomas Hinds, William Latimore, and Peter VanDorn, commissioners appointed by the Mississippi Legislature in 1821, met to locate a seat of government to be called and known by the name of Jackson in honor of General Andrew Jackson, commander of the American Forces at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8th, 1815, President of the United States, 1821-1832.”
On the north side it reads: “The conservation of history raises and ennobles a civilization. Dunbar Rowland”
On the south side it reads: “Here Louis LeFleur, a Frenchman, established a trading post during Indian occupancy on the high bluffs of the Pearl River which became known as LeFleur’s Bluff. He served with Pushmataha under General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812, and aided in keeping the Choctaw Nation loyal to the United States. He married Rebecca Cravat, a Choctaw maiden.”
Erected in 1943 by the Ralph Humphreys Chapter DAR.
It should be noted that there exists no information to denote the exact site of LeFleur’s Bluff, other than its being on the Pearl River, near what is now Jackson. Elbert Hilliard, Director of the Department of Archives and History, has informed this writer that George Armistead, a Jackson land surveyor who is now deceased, used the original land surveys to conclude that the LeFleur’s Bluff site was located along Jefferson Street just north of the Wilson Bridge the crosses the Pearl River. Mr. Hilliard has also pointed out that other accounts place LeFleur’s Bluff at the site of the Old Capitol and at Rose’s Bluff further up the Pearl.
Marker located in northern Madison County, east of Canton on Highway 43, at the Natchez Trace entrance. Marks the site of Madisonville, an early county seat of Madison County. Erected by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution in December 1928.
Metal tablets of the metal from the Battleship Maine located at the University of Mississippi, Oxford, Lafayette County, and at the department of Archives and History at the Old State Capitol Building, Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi. The plaque which is described as being at the Department of Archives and History is catalogued in the collections of the Old Capitol Museum of Mississippi History (Accession Number 62:359).
Marked: April 1914 — David Reese Chapter
Marker is located at the intersection of Highway 82 and Carrollton Road, Carroll County, Mississippi.
“MALMAISON Northwest 9 miles is site of plantation mansion of Greenwood LeFlore, chief of Choctaws, statesman and planter. Home burned, 1942. His grave is near the site.”
Marked: 1949 — Chakchiuma Chapter
The bronze marker is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of U.S. Highway 45-A and Old West Point Road on the west and Tibbee Road on the east.
MAYHEW MISSION Near town of Mayhew, set up by Presbyterians under Cyrus Kingsbury of Massachusetts in 1818. This was one of first Protestant missions to the Choctaw Indians in Mississippi.” Mississippi Historical Commission Marker
Marked: 1949 — Hic-A-Sha-Ba-Ha Chapter
MAYHEW MISSION GRAVEYARD
Granite marker at Mayhew Mission Cemetery located on Mission Road in Oktibbeha County, Mississippi. To reach the cemetery go 8.9 miles from the intersection of U.S. 82 and Old West Point Road in Starkville on Old West Point Road to Muldrow Road (gravel). Left 1 mile on Muldrow to Mission Road, right .4 mile on Mission Road to Cemetery. Cemetery is well marked and cared for.
“MAYHEW MISSION GRAVEYARD Burial Grounds of Mayhew Mission Founded in 1818 by Presbyterians Under Cyrus Kingsbury of Massachusetts. One of First of a Group of Missions to The Choctaw Indian Nation. Erected 1965.”
Marked: 1934 — Hic-A-Sha-Ba-Ha Chapter
Marker placed in Old McLemore Cemetery located at 6th Street and 16th Avenue, McLemore Survey, Meridian, Luderdale County, Mississippi.
The McLemore Cemetery was established by Richard McLemore in 1839 in Lauderdale County, Mississippi. A bronze tablet on a large stone reads:
“Historic McLemore Cemetery 1839 marked by Pushmataha Chapter DAR 1939. Commemorating the 100th Anniversary.”
Marked: 14 June 1939 — Pushmataha Chapter
Tablet mounted on the brick wall that surrounds the rear gardens of Rosalie at Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi, in honor of those who served on the U.S. Battleship MISSISSIPPI.
“In honor of Mississippi men who served on the U.S.S. MISSISSIPPI.” There is also a bell engraved “U.S.S. MISSISSIPPI 1917.”
(Complete list of names in The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896–1996)
Marked: March 21, 1958 — Fort Rosalie Chapter
MISSISSIPPI STATE COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
A bronze tablet on a large boulder inside the front gate marks the site of the first state-supported college for women.
“This boulder marks the site of the first state-supported college for women in the United States. Authorized by the Mississippi Legislature March 12, 1884. It opened its doors October 22, 1885.”
Marked: 31 May 1936 — Bernard Romans Chapter
Also on the northwest corner of the campus is a State Historical Commission Marker.
“Mississippi State College for Women. The oldest state supported Women’s College in the United States (1884). It pioneered in adding vocational subjects to the standard Arts-Science Program.
Authorized by the Mississippi Legislature March 12, 1884. Opened its doors October 22, 1885.”
MISSISSIPPI TIME CAPSULE
Buried at Rosalie Mansion, Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi, containing over 30 articles such as: lists of chapters, pictures, activities, etc. Sealed — to be opened in 2076.
Marked: 1976 — MSSDAR
Marker located at ante-bellum home “Monmouth,” Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi
“Natchez Chapter organized May 5, 1896, at Monmouth. First DAR Chapter in Mississippi. Placed by Natchez Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 5, 1980.”
Marked 5 May 1980
Constructed ca. 1780, this home is one of the oldest structures in Mississippi. It functioned as both a working plantation and as an inn, where travelers on the Natchez Trace could rest for the night. Mount Locust is the only surviving inn of the more than 50 that existed during the period of greatest use of the Old Natchez Trace.
(Located in front of the Ranger station at Mount Locust.)
Placed June 26, 2004, by the Mississippi DAR.
NATCHEZ TRACE COMPLETION
A celebration was held to mark the conclusion of the 97-year project, the completion of the 444 mile Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez to Nashville. A full day of activities were held culminating with a dedication of a commerative marker in Natchez.
Placed May 21, 2005, by the Mississippi State Society.
NEW ALBANY TOWN MARKER
Located at the end of Tallahatchie River Bridge on West Bankhead Street in New Albany, Union County, Mississippi. Plaque attached to stone.
“Erected by New Albany Chapter of DAR, 1940, to commemorate expedition of Hernando DeSoto, 1530-42, especially the discovery of the Mississippi River.” Also reported as the DeSoto Expedition Marker.
Marked: May 1941 — New Albany Chapter
NEW HOPE LUTHERAN CHURCH
Marker located at the intersection of Highway 12 and 429 at Sallis, Attala County, Mississippi.
“New Hope Lutheran Church, south 4 miles. Founded, 1846. Here, July 22, 1855, First Mississippi Lutheran Synod was organized. The Reverend G. H. Brown, pastor, served as first Synod president.” State Historical Commission Marker
Marked: 1955 — Samuel Hammond Chapter
GENERAL JAMES PATTON
Born 1780 in South Carolina. First signer of petition in 1808 to form Wayne County from Mississippi Territory. Served in several Wayne County Courts. State’s second Lt. Governor 1820-22. Died May 3, 1830, at Winchester. Buried .6 mile southwest in S33-T8N-R6W., Winchester Cemetery, Waynesboro, Wayne County, Mississippi.
Marked: 23 October 1987 — Chickasawhay Chapter
B. 1786 D. 1830 Grave is at Pitchlynn Cemetery, 5 miles south of Waverly but marker is on Highway 50, 6 miles east of West Point, Clay County, Mississippi.
“John Pitchlyn English orphan born 1745 became first white settler and large land owner in Clay County. Peacemaker and U.S. Interpreter to the Choctaws. Buried at Waverly, May 20, 1835.”
Marked 15 September 1970 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
Marker located 2 miles from Greenwood, Leflore County, Mississippi, at junction of Tallahatchie and Yalobusha Rivers.
“Point Leflore, N.E. 2 miles at junction of Tallahatchie and Yalobusha Rivers is site of extinct town founded in 1830s by Greenwood Leflore. Achieved great prosperity in era before Civil War.”
Marked: 1954 — Chakchiuma Chapter
BATTLE OF PORT GIBSON
Marker is on the Shaifer place, scene of the battle and now attached to Grand Gulf State Park, about 4-1/2 miles from Port Gibson on the old road to Alcorn. The marker is a large tombstone with curved head.
(On top) “In memory of the Confederate Soldiers who fought and fell in the Battle of Port Gibson.” (On side) “From this site was fired the first shot in the Battle of Port Gibson.”
Marked 3 June 1916 — Pathfinder Chapter, DAR, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy
Located in the Patricia Walton Shelby Bicentennial Garden at Rosalie Mansion in Natchez, the marker was placed as a memorial to those early settlers of Natchez whose buried remains were discovered during the Natchez Bluffs Stabilization Project in 1999. Archeologists had determined the burials represent a cemetery in use from 1763 to 1822.
Placed March 26, 2010 by Mississippi State Society.
REVOLUTIONARY WAR PATRIOTS PLAQUE: COLUMBUS
“Dedicated at the Lowndes County Courthouse, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi, on October 11, 1985, honoring Revolutionary War Patriots who are buried in Lowndes County: Nathaneil Lawrence, William Cocke, John Murphy.”
Plaque placed by Lowndes County Members of the Sons of the American Revolution, Bernard Romans Chapter, Greenwood Leflore Chapter, and Shuk-ho-ta Tom-a-ha Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marked: 11 October 1985
BEN ROBERTSON STORE
Located at Old Cross Roads at city limits, west side of West Point, Clay County, Mississippi. Iron marker of site of first store built by Ben Robertson, grandson of Revolutionary soldier for whom the chapter was named.
“OLD CROSS ROADS BEN ROBERTSON STORE
HORSESHOE ROBERTSON CHAPTER”
Marked 3 September 1936 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
CORP. LAMON SPEIGHTS (WAR OF 1812)
Lamon Speights Cemetery is abandoned, located NW 1/4 S9 T6N R19W, six miles south of Prentiss, Jeff Davis County, Mississippi. Oatis Cemetery is abandoned family cemetery about 1/4 acre in size located SW 1/4 S19 T7N R19W, five miles southwest of Prentiss, Jeff Davis County, Mississippi. Lamon Speights buried in Lamon Speights Cemetery, but marker placed at Oatis Cemetery by Neva Thompson. “Lamon Speights, Louisiana, Womack’s Regt. LA Mil., War of 1812, 1794-1869.”
Marked: 1970′s — William Ramsey Chapter
Marker located 5 miles northeast of Lauderdale, Lauderdale County, Mississippi.
“Vincent Delk built this stagecoach inn in approximately 1800 on this site beside the Choctaw Trail which ran between Gainesville, Alabama, and Philadelphia, Mississippi. The Delk Family Cemetery lies nearby. The house was restored by the Commander E. C. McGonagil family 1974-75. Named “Brikalo.” Marked as a historic site by the Samuel Dale Chapter MSDAR 1976.”
Marked: 1976 — Samuel Dale Chapter
B. 6 October 1825, Pontotoc County, Mississippi — D. 1 May 1884, Lee County, Mississippi. Grave is located to left of entrance of Pontotoc Cemetery, Pontotoc, Pontotoc County, Mississippi.
Marked: 20 November 1959 — Mary Stuart Chapter
TATE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
Located in Senatobia, the marker was placed to recognize the courthouse as one of the oldest Mississippi courthouses in continuous use.
Placed May 15, 2010, by James Gilliam Chapter.
THREE CHOPPED WAY
Marker located on the lawn of the Amite County Courthouse, Liberty, Amite County, Mississippi.
“THREE CHOPPED WAY This road, marked in 1807 with three notches on trees and used as a post road, ran from Natchez to Milledgeville, Georgia. Here Sam Dale became famous as a scout and guide. Marked: March 21, 1992, by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Margaret Jock DeMoville, State Regent.”
TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH LIVE OAK CEMETERY
Marker located on Trinity Episcopal Church grounds, near Highway 90, Pas Christian, Harrison County, Mississippi.
“Francis Parke Lewis Butler, Great Granddaughter of Martha Washington also Grandniece of George Washington, (DAR March 1941).”
Marked: 16 September 1976 — Gulf Coast Chapter
CITY OF VICKSBURG
“CITY OF VICKSBURG Marker located on the Old Courthouse lawn on the Cherry Street side, Vicksburg, Warren County, Mississippi.
Founded 1820 and named for the Reverend Newitt Vick. It was originally site of Spanish Fort Nogales — Later was U. S. Fort Henry — on July 4, 1863, the city surrendered to General Grant.”
Marked: 15 January 1950 — Ashmead Chapter
George Washington Bronze marker located at Arboreton, Lauderdale County, Mississippi, for a George Washington Bicentennial Celebration.
Marked: 27 February 1930 — Pushmataha Chapter
GEORGE AND MARTHA WASHINGTON
Bronze Marker placed on blocks of concrete at base of tree on campus of University of Mississippi, Oxford, Lafayette County, Mississippi. Bicentennial Celebration of Washington’s Birthday.
Marked: 1938 — David Reese Chapter
GEORGE WASHINGTON TREE
Located on the State Capitol grounds, eastside, south walkway, Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi.
“This marker, erected here February 22, 1949, marks this tree which was grown from a slip of the black walnut tree at Mt. Vernon, home of George Washington. The tree was planted February 22, 1949, by DAR and Boy Scouts.
Marked: 22 February 1949 — Ralph Humphreys Chapter
WORLD WAR MEMORIAL GATEWAY: COLUMBUS
Located at entrance to Magnolia Bowl, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi. Gate of red brick with archway and tablet on each side. Names of men and women of Lowndes County who served in the World War — 1917-1918. (Names listed in The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896–1996)
Marked: 1933 — Bernard Romans Chapter, Tombigbee No. 69, and American Legion Auxiliary
WEST POINT: WORLD WAR MONUMENT
Marker located in Sally Kate Winter Park, East Broad Street, West Point Clay County, Mississippi. Granite boulder approximately 6 x 9 x 3 feet with inscriptions on all four sides. (Names listed in The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896–1996)
Marked: 1927 — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
Marker located at Seminary, Covington County, Mississippi, in median of U. S. Highway 49 at intersection with Highway 590.
“ZION SEMINARY Founded 1846, as a coeducational boarding school by A. R. Graves, N.Y. Presbyterian clergyman. Gave pre-law, pre-medical and fine arts training. Destroyed in Civil War.” State Historical Commission Marker
Marked: 22 April 1953 — Shadrack Rogers Chapter
Source: The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896–1996), Copyright 1996, by Anne Hughes Porter for the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution. All rights reserved.
Some entries have been dedicated since publication of the above noted book.