OLD ABERDEEN CEMETERY
"Old Aberdeen Cemetery, established in 1836, by the Trustees of Aberdeen Corporation. Restoration begun in 1979 by Tombigbee Chapter DAR. Placed 1984 by Tombigbee Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution."
Marked: 1984 - Tombigbee Chapter
Historical marker located at the intersection
of Highway 35 South and Williamsville Road, 1/2 mile south of Kosciusko
city limits, Attala County, Mississippi. State Historical Commission
Marker located on U. S. Highway 61 South of
Vicksburg, Warren County, Mississippi, on public land at Immanuel
Church, at intersection of Highway 61 and the old road going out to
Located on Highway 61, just north of
at the intersection of county road leading to Old Bethel Cemetery,
Joseph and Hannah Bullen are buried in Jefferson County, Mississippi.
Marker located on Highway 49 at the main
to Camp Shelby, Hattiesburg, Forrest County, Mississippi.
Marker located at intersection of Highway
90 and Teagarden Road in Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi.
CHAKCHIUMA LAND OFFICE/CHOCCHUMA
Marker located in Harris Park on Highway 7
in Holcomb, Grenada County, Mississippi.
Marker located on Highway 49 near Minter City,
Leflore County, Mississippi
CHAUMONT LAND GRANT/OLD SPANISH FORT
Located in Pascagoula, Jackson County, Mississippi
CHICKASAW INDIAN COUNCIL TREE
Marker located at the site of Old Cotton Gin
Port, Monroe County, Mississippi.
CHOCCHUMA INDIAN MOUND
Marker is located in Oktibbeha County,
on Lyon's Bluff on a farm owned by Bill Sorrels.
CHOCTAW MOUND/CHOCTAW BURIAL MOUND
Marker located at site of the Choctaw Indian
Mound. Concrete marker. Clay County, Mississippi.
The markers are located at the intersection
of Highways 49 and 61 in Clarksdale, Coahoma County, Mississippi.
CLEVELAND MEMORIAL DRIVE
In memory of Bolivar County Servicemen who
gave their lives in World War I whose names appear hereon:
OLD COLLEGE HILL CHURCH
Marker located 6 miles north of Oxford, on
the Old Chickasaw Trail, Lafayette County, Mississippi. Bronze tablet
COLLEGE HILL COMMUNITY
Bronze tablet on large boulder at College
Hill Presbyterian Church bearing this 1935 inscription:
Marker located between Saltillo and Tupelo,
Lee County, Mississippi.
COTTON GIN PORT
Marker located on Highway 278 west of Amory,
Monroe County, Mississippi, one mile east of Tombigbee River.
GENERAL SAMUEL DALE
Grave located in Old Cochrane Cemetery, 2
miles west of Lizelia, Lauderdale County, Mississippi.
Marker located 1-1/2 miles south of Pontotoc,
Pontotoc County, Mississippi.
DANCING RABBIT TREATY
Marker is a large granite boulder, located
on 40 square feet, given by Mrs. F. R. Simms in Noxubee County,
in 1916 where the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit was signed on 28 September
Marker located 4 miles west of Sardis, Panola
County, Mississippi, at Davis Chapel which stands in a huge grove of
oak trees on the Old Spanish Trail.
Marker located on Highway 16, 12 miles east
of Canton, Madison County, Mississippi.
DRINKING FOUNTAIN: GREENWOOD
Marker located on Church Street, in front
of new Davis Elementary School, Greenwood, Leflore County, Mississippi.
SGT. MARTIN DURRETT
Marker located off Highway 8 in southeastern
part of Monroe County, Mississippi.
Born: 1794 Died: 1869 Buried at Murrah's
Grounds, Lowndes County, Mississippi. Cemetery located 11 miles from
Lowndes County, Mississippi, on Highway 69 South.
ELIZABETH FEMALE COLLEGE
Marker is on bronze set in a large granite
stone. Located on old Highway 84 east from the town of Washington,
County, Mississippi, at the point where the highway overpasses the
ELIZABETH FEMALE COLLEGE
"First school for women chartered by Mississippi Legislature located here. Elizabeth Roach led in organization. School was important from 1818-1843."
FIRST DECORATION DAY
"Site of First Decoration Day, Columbus, Mississippi. April 25, 1866. Erected by John Foster Society D.A.R. in 1932."
Marked: 1932 -- Bernard Romans Chapter
SITE OF FIRST SETTLERS
"CHURCH HILL CEMETERY Marked by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter, DAR. December 13, 1960."
Marked: 13 December 1960 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
FIRST STATE HOUSE
"This tablet marks the site of the First State House. Erected in Jackson, 1822. General Thomas Hinds, Commander of Andrew Jackson's Cavalry, Battle of New Orleans, was a member of the commission that laid out the City and selected this location for the Capitol Building."
The county of Hinds was named in his honor and the City in honor of Andrew Jackson.
Marked: 14 June 1925 -- Ralph Humphreys Chapter
FLAGSTAFFS AT GOVERNOR'S MANSION
"The Flagstaffs on the Mansion grounds were placed by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution to commemorate its 100 years of service to God, Home and Country. 1896-1996. Dedicated February 22, 1996." MSSDAR
NATHAN BEDFORD FORREST MEMORIAL BRIDGE
Marked: 1953 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
Marked: 1930 Marker was damaged during the construction of new highway and replaced with State Historical Commission Marker.
"FORT PEMBERTON Here is site of fort at which Grant's gunboats bound for Vicksburg, early in 1863, were halted by fort batteries and by the sunken hulk of "Star of the West" in channel."
Marked: November 1950 -- Chakchiuma Chapter
"FORT ROSALIE On bluff to south stood Fort Rosalie, established by the French in 1716. Became nucleus of settlements from which the Mississippi Territory was founded. Near this marker stood the French warehouse that was a center of bloodshed during the Natchez Massacre of 1729.
Marked: 11 December 1988 -- MSSDAR
"FORT ROSALIE Site located on these bluffs by D'Iberville, 1700. Fort established for French by Bienville, 1716. French settlers massacred by Natchez Indians, 1729. Renamed Ft. Panmure by British, 1763." Marked: 1951 -- Mississippi Historical Commission Marker.
FORT ROSALIE - FLAG POLE
The Mississippi Society Daughters of the American Revolution commemorated this event by the raising of the Stars and Stripes on this spot April 5, 1918.
Fort Rosalie lies immediately behind "Rosalie" on the summit of the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River.
The Rumble sisters living in the mansion, Rosalie, maintained the Flag Pole and the area until their deaths. It was assumed they had deeded this land to MSDAR, but they had not, so the Flag Pole was sold as part of the estate. In 1963, the Pole was removed.
Marked: 5 April 1918 -- MSSDAR
"1821 Franklin Academy oldest free school in Mississippi. Chartered in 1821. It has had a continuous history from that day to this. Tablet placed by Bernard Romans Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1929."
Also on the corner of 3rd Avenue North and 5th Street is a Mississippi Highway Historical Marker.
"FRANKLIN ACADEMY State's oldest free school has functioned since 1821. Worthy trustees using 16th section income and employing able teachers early made Columbus a cultural center in Northeast Mississippi."
The school was named for Benjamin Franklin.
Marked 29 May 1929 -- Bernard Romans Chapter
BERNARDO DE GALVEZ
"Don Bernado de Galvez, Spanish Governor of Louisiana 1776-1783. In a brilliant campaign, with the aid of regular troops, militia volunteers and a few Americans, captured Baton Rouge from the British on September 21, 1779. Terms included the surrender of Fort Panmure in Natchez, which was occupied by Spanish troops on October 5, 1779. The signing of the Treaty of San Lorenzo on October 27, 1795, ended Spanish control of Natchez. Dedicated October 29, 1985, by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Mrs. William Edwin O'Hare, State Regent."
Marked: 29 October 1985 -- MSSDAR
"Homesite of 'Father of Methodism' in Mississippi, sent in 1799 to Mississippi Territory as missionary. He founded many of its early churches and is buried on Crawford Street Lawn." State Historical Commission Marker.
Marked: 21 October 1956 -- Ashmead Chapter.
"GREENWOOD founded by John Williams as Williams Landing 1834, chartered as Greenwood in 1844, since 1917 has been the world's largest inland long staple cotton market." State Historical Commission Marker
Marked 30 November 1950 -- Chakchiuma Chapter
These people were pioneers in the development of Picayune. The Picayune Chapter placed the marker in grateful recognition of the significance of the home, the surrounding grounds, the little cemetery, and the service rendered by those who lie in eternal rest there.
"The Hermitage Cemetery, placed by Picayune Chapter DAR, March 23, 1985."
Marked 23 March 1985 -- Picayune Chapter
INDIAN BURIAL MOUND
"INDIAN BURIAL MOUND Excavated June 1934 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Dunbar Rowland, LL.D., Director; Jordan B. Chambers, Archeologist.
Marked 1934 by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter DAR. Choctaw Burial Mound 120 yards South; Indian Campground Southwest across the Highway. Committee: Beulah Lijon Fuller Harris (Mrs. Edgar G.), Erin Faye Nowlin Clark (Mrs. C. C.), Mattie Waugh Unger (Mrs. J. R.), Regent."
Marked 1934 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
"PREHISTORIC INDIAN BURIAL MOUND Constructed ca. 100 B.C. - A.D. 400 for burial of high-status members of an unknown local tribal group. An associated village site lies across the highway to the Southwest." Israel Miller Society, DAR.
Marked: 1 March 1960 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
INDIAN BURIAL MOUND
"INDIAN BURIAL MOUND Excavated June 1934 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Dunbar Holland, LL.D., Director, Jordan B. Chambers, Archeologist. Marked by Horseshoe Robertson Chapter DAR. Choctaw Burial Mound 102 yards south. Indian Campground Southwest across the Highway. Committee: Beulah Lijon Fuller Harris (Mrs. Edgar G.), Erin Faye Nowlin Clark (Mrs. C. C.), Mattie Waugh Unger (Mrs. J. R.) Regent."
Marked: 1934 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
"JACKSON Began as LeFleur's Bluff. Chose as state capital in 1821 and named for Andrew Jackson. First legislature met here in 1822. Street plan based on design originated by Jefferson." State Historical Commission Marker.
"KOSCIUSKO "Redbud Springs" in Indian days. Later named for Polish-American patriot. Chartered in 1836. On Natchez Trace near geographical center of state. Trade activity gave it title, 'Beehive of the Hills.' "
Marked: 1950 -- Samuel Hammond Chapter
On the east side the marker reads: "This monument marks LeFleur's Bluff where General Thomas Hinds, William Latimore, and Peter VanDorn, commissioners appointed by the Mississippi Legislature in 1821, met to locate a seat of government to be called and known by the name of Jackson in honor of General Andrew Jackson, commander of the American Forces at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8th, 1815, President of the United States, 1821-1832."
On the north side it reads: "The conservation of history raises and ennobles a civilization. Dunbar Rowland"
On the south side it reads: "Here Louis LeFleur, a Frenchman, established a trading post during Indian occupancy on the high bluffs of the Pearl River which became known as LeFleur's Bluff. He served with Pushmataha under General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812, and aided in keeping the Choctaw Nation loyal to the United States. He married Rebecca Cravat, a Choctaw maiden."
Erected in 1943 by the Ralph Humphreys Chapter DAR.
It should be noted that there exists no information to denote the exact site of LeFleur's Bluff, other than its being on the Pearl River, near what is now Jackson. Elbert Hilliard, Director of the Department of Archives and History, has informed this writer that George Armistead, a Jackson land surveyor who is now deceased, used the original land surveys to conclude that the LeFleur's Bluff site was located along Jefferson Street just north of the Wilson Bridge the crosses the Pearl River. Mr. Hilliard has also pointed out that other accounts place LeFleur's Bluff at the site of the Old Capitol and at Rose's Bluff further up the Pearl.
Marked: April 1914 -- David Reese Chapter
"MALMAISON Northwest 9 miles is site of plantation mansion of Greenwood LeFlore, chief of Choctaws, statesman and planter. Home burned, 1942. His grave is near the site."
Marked: 1949 -- Chakchiuma Chapter
MAYHEW MISSION Near town of Mayhew, set up by Presbyterians under Cyrus Kingsbury of Massachusetts in 1818. This was one of first Protestant missions to the Choctaw Indians in Mississippi." Mississippi Historical Commission Marker
Marked: 1949 -- Hic-A-Sha-Ba-Ha Chapter
MAYHEW MISSION GRAVEYARD
"MAYHEW MISSION GRAVEYARD Burial Grounds of Mayhew Mission Founded in 1818 by Presbyterians Under Cyrus Kingsbury of Massachusetts. One of First of a Group of Missions to The Choctaw Indian Nation. Erected 1965."
Marked: 1934 -- Hic-A-Sha-Ba-Ha Chapter
The McLemore Cemetery was established by Richard McLemore in 1839 in Lauderdale County, Mississippi. A bronze tablet on a large stone reads:
"Historic McLemore Cemetery 1839 marked by Pushmataha Chapter DAR 1939. Commemorating the 100th Anniversary."
Marked: 14 June 1939 -- Pushmataha Chapter
"In honor of Mississippi men who served on the U.S.S. MISSISSIPPI." There is also a bell engraved "U.S.S. MISSISSIPPI 1917."
(Complete list of names in The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896--1996)
Marked: March 21, 1958 -- Fort Rosalie Chapter
MISSISSIPPI STATE COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
"This boulder marks the site of the first state-supported college for women in the United States. Authorized by the Mississippi Legislature March 12, 1884. It opened its doors October 22, 1885."
Marked: 31 May 1936 -- Bernard Romans Chapter
Also on the northwest corner of the campus is a State Historical Commission Marker.
"Mississippi State College for Women. The oldest state supported Women's College in the United States (1884). It pioneered in adding vocational subjects to the standard Arts-Science Program.
Authorized by the Mississippi Legislature March 12, 1884. Opened its doors October 22, 1885."
MISSISSIPPI TIME CAPSULE
Marked: 1976 -- MSSDAR
"Natchez Chapter organized May 5, 1896, at Monmouth. First DAR Chapter in Mississippi. Placed by Natchez Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 5, 1980."
Marked 5 May 1980
plantation and as an inn, where travelers on the Natchez Trace could rest for the night. Mount Locust is the only
surviving inn of the more than 50 that existed during the period of greatest use of the Old Natchez Trace.
(Located in front of the Ranger station at Mount Locust.)
Placed June 26, 2004, by the Mississippi DAR.
NEW ALBANY TOWN MARKER
"Erected by New Albany Chapter of DAR, 1940, to commemorate expedition of Hernando DeSoto, 1530-42, especially the discovery of the Mississippi River." Also reported as the DeSoto Expedition Marker.
Marked: May 1941 -- New Albany Chapter
NEW HOPE LUTHERAN CHURCH
"New Hope Lutheran Church, south 4 miles. Founded, 1846. Here, July 22, 1855, First Mississippi Lutheran Synod was organized. The Reverend G. H. Brown, pastor, served as first Synod president." State Historical Commission Marker
Marked: 1955 -- Samuel Hammond Chapter
GENERAL JAMES PATTON
Marked: 23 October 1987 -- Chickasawhay Chapter
"John Pitchlyn English orphan born 1745 became first white settler and large land owner in Clay County. Peacemaker and U.S. Interpreter to the Choctaws. Buried at Waverly, May 20, 1835."
Marked 15 September 1970 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
"Point Leflore, N.E. 2 miles at junction of Tallahatchie and Yalobusha Rivers is site of extinct town founded in 1830s by Greenwood Leflore. Achieved great prosperity in era before Civil War."
Marked: 1954 -- Chakchiuma Chapter
BATTLE OF PORT GIBSON
(On top) "In memory of the Confederate Soldiers who fought and fell in the Battle of Port Gibson." (On side) "From this site was fired the first shot in the Battle of Port Gibson."
Marked 3 June 1916 -- Pathfinder Chapter, DAR, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy
BEN ROBERTSON STORE
HORSESHOE ROBERTSON CHAPTER"
Marked 3 September 1936 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
REVOLUTIONARY WAR PATRIOTS PLAQUE: COLUMBUS
Plaque placed by Lowndes County Members of the Sons of the American Revolution, Bernard Romans Chapter, Greenwood Leflore Chapter, and Shuk-ho-ta Tom-a-ha Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marked: 11 October 1985
CORP. LAMON SPEIGHTS (WAR OF 1812)
Marked: 1970's -- William Ramsey Chapter
"Vincent Delk built this stagecoach inn in approximately 1800 on this site beside the Choctaw Trail which ran between Gainesville, Alabama, and Philadelphia, Mississippi. The Delk Family Cemetery lies nearby. The house was restored by the Commander E. C. McGonagil family 1974-75. Named "Brikalo." Marked as a historic site by the Samuel Dale Chapter MSDAR 1976."
Marked: 1976 -- Samuel Dale Chapter
Marked: 20 November 1959 -- Mary Stuart Chapter
THREE CHOPPED WAY
"THREE CHOPPED WAY This road, marked in 1807 with three notches on trees and used as a post road, ran from Natchez to Milledgeville, Georgia. Here Sam Dale became famous as a scout and guide. Marked: March 21, 1992, by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Margaret Jock DeMoville, State Regent."
TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH LIVE OAK CEMETERY
"Francis Parke Lewis Butler, Great Granddaughter of Martha Washington also Grandniece of George Washington, (DAR March 1941)."
Marked: 16 September 1976 -- Gulf Coast Chapter
CITY OF VICKSBURG
Founded 1820 and named for the Reverend Newitt Vick. It was originally site of Spanish Fort Nogales -- Later was U. S. Fort Henry -- on July 4, 1863, the city surrendered to General Grant."
Marked: 15 January 1950 -- Ashmead Chapter
Marked: 27 February 1930 -- Pushmataha Chapter
GEORGE AND MARTHA WASHINGTON
Marked: 1938 -- David Reese Chapter
GEORGE WASHINGTON TREE
"This marker, erected here February 22, 1949, marks this tree which was grown from a slip of the black walnut tree at Mt. Vernon, home of George Washington. The tree was planted February 22, 1949, by DAR and Boy Scouts.
Marked: 22 February 1949 -- Ralph Humphreys Chapter
WORLD WAR MEMORIAL GATEWAY: COLUMBUS
Marked: 1933 -- Bernard Romans Chapter, Tombigbee No. 69, and American Legion Auxiliary
WEST POINT: WORLD WAR MONUMENT
Marked: 1927 -- Horseshoe Robertson Chapter
"ZION SEMINARY Founded 1846, as a coeducational boarding school by A. R. Graves, N.Y. Presbyterian clergyman. Gave pre-law, pre-medical and fine arts training. Destroyed in Civil War." State Historical Commission Marker
Marked: 22 April 1953 -- Shadrack Rogers Chapter
Source: The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896--1996), Copyright 1996 by Anne Hughes Porter for the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution. All rights reserved.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Unless otherwise indicated, the graphics throughout this website are Public Domain free downloads. If anyone finds a graphic that requires a copyright, please notify the Webmaster and the graphic in question will be removed.
Page last updated July 17, 2010